LETTUCE WRAPPED CHICKEN FAJITAS
May 2, 2020 by myownmealplan
These Lettuce Wrapped Chicken Fajitas make for a simple and easy, healthy meal! This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and it’s one the whole family will enjoy! Made with chicken, bell peppers, red onion, butter lettuce, greek yogurt, and fresh lime. You are in for a seriously delicious, low carb recipe! Make it with me!
LETTUCE WRAPPED FAJITAS
Fajitas are one of my very favorite things to order at a Mexican restaurant. I love that they come out on a sizzling hot skillet! Served with hot tortillas and sour cream, YUM!
For this recipe, I created a healthy version of this classic meal by using lettuce! Using lettuce in place of tortillas is the easiest way to cut the carbs down in any recipe!
Now, you can enjoy the delicious flavors of classic fajitas, in a lower carb way!
Try these Lettuce Wrapped Chicken Fajitas out and let me know what you think!
WHAT LETTUCE SHOULD YOU USE FOR LETTUCE WRAPS?
The traditional lettuce that is served with lettuce wraps is butter lettuce, or living lettuce. It is the larger, softer green leaves of lettuce, and it is still attached to the root when you purchase it!
You can find butter lettuce at most of your local grocery stores so it should be easy to find. I picked. mine up at Smith’s.
Butter lettuce leaves have a very mild flavor, and create a pliable, softshell for the fajitas.
Other lettuce you could use for lettuce wraps would be a head of ice burg lettuce, or romaine leaves. Either option will work, and these types of lettuce will create a shell with more of a crunch!
FRESH IS BEST!
For this recipe, I love reaching for fresh ingredients for these Lettuce Wrapped Chicken Fajitas!
I like to purchase my bell peppers and onion whole and do the slicing myself because fresh is best! You want to cut them into thin, long strips like classic fajitas are served.
I also reach for fresh, thawed chicken at the grocery store because I prefer to slice it into thinner pieces. You can use breasts, thighs, or tenderloins.
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
LETTUCE WRAPPED CHICKEN FAJITAS
The most delicious, low carb way to enjoy fajitas are these Lettuce Wrapped Chicken Fajitas!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 bell peppers, any color, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Slice the chicken and season it with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Prepare the onion and bells peppers by seeding them and slicing them thin. Set aside.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Chicken is finished when it is fully cooked, and golden brown on the outsides.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the bell peppers, red onions, and water to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, allowing the water to evaporate and the vegetables to soften.
- Rinse the butter lettuce leaves in cold water.
- Fill each lettuce leaf with the cooked mixture of chicken, peppers, and onions. Top with avocado, greek yogurt, and fresh lime juice!
NUTRITION INFORMATION: YIELD: 4 serings SERVING SIZE: 2 lettuce wrapped fajitas
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 325TOTAL FAT: 11gCARBOHYDRATES: 43gPROTEIN: 21g